Professional Book Reviewers are tasked to read new literary manuscripts and publications to provide their expert commentary to help readers make a purchase decision. Reviewers often specialize in one area or another like reviewing biographies, fiction and non-fiction novels, technical tutorials and self-help books, to mention some. They can work as part time or freelance reviewers as well as in publishing houses, large bookstore chains, newspapers, broadcast media and the academe.
Book Reviewer Resume Format
Jeremiah G. Thompson
Chippewa St., St Louis, Missouri
To take on a management position as a Lead Book Reviewer in a large publishing house
Summary of Qualifications
- About 10 years of experience as a freelance book reviewer for a large state broad sheet while working as a college professor of English.
- Excellent written communication skills in English
Career Experience / Job History
2000 – Present: Freelance Book Reviewer for the New York Times
- Accept new and forthcoming book titles in fiction and non-fiction categories for review
- Prepare reviews and submit as email attachments within prescribed deadlines
- Interview authors as requested by the publication for printing on their book jackets.
1999 – 2004: English Professor, Missouri Southern State University
- Conduct English and English Literature classes for the college in accordance with approved curriculum and course plan for English majors
- Assist the English department Head professor in the planning and development of subject curriculum.
Portfolio of book reviews and criticisms available on interview
1999 – 2001: Master in Creative Writing, Full Sail University, Florida
1995 – 1199: BA English Literature, Grand Canyon University
Professional and Character References
Can be furnished upon request