The Dance Choreographer has to be really talented and innovative to have his dance sequences stand out and not just emulate or enhance a Michael Jackson moonwalking dance. Choreographers are dancers schooled or trained in specific dancing styles – ballroom dancing, traditional and free style ballet, tribal, Afro-Caribbean, hip-hop, etc., and have the ability to teach or choreograph dance steps and movements to younger dancers for a stage number, figure skating, dance contest or musical film. A resume for this position will always requires a video portfolio of choreographed dance events.
Dance Choreographer Resume Format
Sandra A. Barker
Foothill Dr., Salt Lake, Utah
Phone: (801) 889-9033
A position as a resident dance choreographer for a theater production company
Summary of Qualification
- More than 5 years experience in performing arts as a dancer and choreographer, specializing in modern ballet and Afro-Caribbean dance
- Portfolio of choreographed dances in various events on theater and film to be submitted on interview
- Excellent verbal communication and instructional skills.
Career Experience/Job History
2005 – Present: Dance Choreographer, School of Imagine Ballet Theater
- Experiment with new dancing movements in the modern free style ballet and Afro-Caribbean styles.
- Conduct dance classes for theater casts with dancing scenes.
- Edit dance instructional manuals to keep them updated.
- Coordinate with building maintenance teams to ensure that rehearsal rooms have properly cleaned floors and mirrors
- Received the Nuriev Award for Outstanding Choreographer in the 2009 Season of the Hallbright Theater
- Portfolio of videotaped ballet sequences on stage available on request during the interview
2005 – 2006: Certificate in Afro-Caribbean Dance, Academy of Performing and Creative Arts
2003 – 2005: Diploma in Modern Dance, The Julliard School, NY
Professional and Character References
Can be furnished upon request