In most countries, a resume for government applications may not be necessary- you may have to simply fill up a form. A resume, though, allows you to include more detail in your application, and these details may be what the hiring agency is looking for.
A government resume in your location may require more information in the contact details. The USA federal resume for example, needs a social security number and your country of citizenship.
Military service information like veteran’s preference and other information about your federal status may also be required. Make sure to ask the hiring agency of any required information and format.
Below your personal information, try to include all details about the job you’re applying for, like job title, series, grade, and announcement number.
Your summary of qualifications is a key element of your resume. Make sure that you emphasize enough qualifications and skills that would likely attract prospect government offices.
Under the work experience entries, list your accomplishments during your stay in your previous government agencies.
Lastly, it will be of great help if you keep your resume simple and well organized so that it can be understood with ease. Key information should be clear and easy to find.
Government Resume Format and Example
Jerry K. Ludwig
4664 Moonlight Drive
Hopewell (mercer), NJ 08525
To obtain an economics-related position in a Trenton, NJ government agency.
Profoundly talented and resourceful analyst with over eight years experience in conducting studies to improve the operational and financial effectiveness of the unit; extracting financial data from various accounting and information systems; performing moderately complex statistical, cost and financial analysis of financial reports and data, and preparing subsequent narrative analysis for management.
Summary of Qualifications :
- Strong experience with Hyperion Planning and Hyperion Essbase.
- Deep level of analytical ability and accuracy.
- Remarkable ability to work independently and complete tasks with minimal supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal and organization skills.
- Excellent communication, both oral and written skills.
- Strong Excel, Powerpoint and Access skills, with particular focus on financial modeling and the use of advanced features of spreadsheets.
Professional Experience :
Financial Analyst I, EasyWay Investment Inc., Trenton, NJ 2002 – Present
- Recommend budget adjustments, and other cost improvement measures.
- Review costs and perform cost benefit analysis related to projects and programs.
- Perform moderately complex statistical, cost, and financial analysis of data reported in the various financial systems.
- Develop financial reports for forecasting, trending, and results analysis.
- Record, classify, and summarize financial transactions and events in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Interpret financial transactions and events for users who must make economic or business decisions.
- Collect and study data to determine costs of business activities.
- Apply a working knowledge of applicable laws and regulations; verify documents for completeness and compliance with government and private agencies.
- Use various software applications, such as spreadsheets, relational databases, statistical packages, and graphics packages to assemble, manipulate and format data and reports.
Master in Business Administration,The College of New Jersey, Ewing NJ (2002)
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting,The College of New Jersey, Ewing NJ (2002)